Making The Holidays Manageable
The holidays can be a challenging time for anyone, especially those with anxiety and depression. The holidays provoke feelings of sadness, anxiousness, excitement, joy and a multitude of other feelings. Self- care is important throughout the year, but during times of increased stress, it is vital to one's mental health to take extra care during the holiday season.
I like others have struggled during the holiday season. The pressure to buy the perfect gift(s), spend equal time with family/friends and managing everyday tasks can be overwhelming. A few years ago I decided to cut down on my holiday stress and manage it by making my celebrations smaller and honestly, more enjoyable. Some holidays we go out for dinner, while others we trade off cooking. I also don't put pressure on myself to buy gifts for everyone in my life, but opt for reconnecting with friends I haven't seen in a while over a meal or tea.
Ideas For Making The Holidays Manageable:
1. Prepare in advance - search the recipes you want to create for the holidays, budget and make a list of the people you want to gift something to ex. tangible item or time spent together (tea or dinner.
2. Spend time with people who make you happy! Guess what? The cool thing about being an adult is you get to CHOOSE, who you want to spend time with. You know Uncle Bill, who wants to talk about politics and makes you anxious at family events? Steer clear of him and other people in your life who don’t make the holidays a richer experience for you.
3. Maintain your self-care routine.
4. Eat Healthily. We all indulge during the holidays, so it is important to keep balance and eat lots of whole foods to keep your belly and mind happy!
5. Relax. End of year deadlines, traveling and the New Year can overwhelm us, so take the time to relax. Treat yourself to a massage, an at home spa night or veg out watching Netflix.
Most importantly, don't forget about you this holiday season. The best way to easily navigate this time of year is to carve out time for you every day. I love to indulge in holiday sweets and chocolate a bit more this time of year! Hey, self-care and chocolate go hand-in-hand.
How are you taking care this holiday season?