How to Practice Self-Care While Traveling
Do you love travel or hate it? I’m somewhere in the middle. I love the excitement of a trip, but being away from home and the stress and uncertainty of traveling can cause anxiety. You might be a pro at self-care at home during your regular routine, but travel can throw everything off. Here are some tips to practice self-care while traveling, perfect for upcoming holiday trips:
1. Plan, plan, plan. Planning and knowing what to expect and planning for different scenarios can help you avoid anxiety. Research your trip, make sure you have everything you need well in advance for your travels and ask for advice from friends or family who have been to your upcoming destination already.
2. Even if you plan well, you also need to prepare for the unexpected. Travel can be hectic and mishaps happen because you can’t be in control of everything. Prepare a self-care kit to help you when anxious or worried feelings do arise. I would suggest a snack, water, lavender essential oils, a favorite sweatshirt or blanket, a journal, headphones to listen to music or a podcast on your phone or whatever else helps keep you calm and collected.
3. Try to maintain a regular routine and self-care habits. If you take a bath every evening to wind down, take one at your hotel. Aim to get up and go to bed around the same time as you do at home or do your best to adjust if you are in a very different time zone. Eat regularly, stay hydrated and don’t forget to exercise. It is the simple things that can really help to keep anxiety at bay while you travel.
4. Rest if you need to. You might feel like you have to have fun constantly on vacation, especially if you are only there for a limited amount of time. Don’t stress yourself out, even while having fun! If you need to take a nap, skip an excursion or simply rest for a bit, allow yourself to do so. It is more important to rest and skip a small part of your trip instead of pushing yourself to go and feeling sick or exhausted while being there. Bring items that can help you wind down and relax or keep you occupied during the boring parts of travel like a book, crossword puzzle or coloring book.
5. Be present. One of my favorite things to do is to unplug while I travel. Delete social media and email off your phone, leave your laptop at home and just embrace your travels. Let your mind wander, be present with your loved ones and enjoy every moment without worrying about posting your experience as it is happening or wondering what everyone is up to back home.
How do you practice self-care while traveling? What self-care task is most important to you while you travel? Share with us!
Written by Lauren Stewart.