Summer to Autumn Transitional Positives for Seasonal Anxiety & Depression
It’s that time of year when we head back to school, swap our flip-flops for boots and well life gets busy, like really busy! The summer to autumn seasonal transition can be a bit drastic for our mental well-being as the sun sets earlier and the days become cooler. It is entirely normal to feel this way, changes are hard, and seasonal changes can bring about unexpected anxiety and depression.
During seasonal transitions, I like to focus on the positives of the upcoming season as a way to help me cope with the changes.
Transitional positives from Summer to Autumn:
1. Warmer foods- As the days become cooler, it is nice to have warm, nourishing food to fill you up. Things like bean chili, lentil soup, and vegetable curries are my go-to for cooler weather. They keep me full while warming my body.
2. Herbal tea- Rooibos, chamomile, and lavender are soothing and calming. During the cooler months, I like to make myself a cup of tea at the end of the day to unwind and transition to home life after a long day at work.
3. Festivities- The autumn brings Halloween, Thanksgiving, and apple picking. And don’t forget pumpkin everything! Embrace the season, and treat yourself to homemade apple pie!
4. Sweaters- I love the feeling of being wrapped up in a warm, cotton sweater on a chilly morning.
5. Leaves- The crunching leaves under my feet are a reminder that mother nature goes through transitions and leaves are a way to remind myself change is okay.
What are some of your favorite things about autumn?